The season to be jolly continues as excitement grows in our house that Santa will soon be visiting! The kids love all things red and bearded and we are instantly drawn to Santa crafts and bakes. So today, we have a cute little cookie craft idea for you – use your ordinary star cookie cutters (which should be easy to get hold of) and turn them into SANTA COOKIES! We do love making things that are easy to do and don’t need special equipment… The idea is based on some Santa stars that are a classic craft among German children – take this classic paper craft and apply to cookies… ta-daaaaa.
If you want more star inspiration, my kids turned the stars into elves and Rudolph stars too. Take a peak!
What you need to make your Santa star cookies:
To make your Santa star cookies you’ll need ANY good cookie recipe. We love this simple and yet versatile shortbread recipe:
- 300g plain flour
- 200g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 100g caster sugar
- Icing sugar
- Red food colouring
- Mini marshmallows
- A little chocolate
Preheat the oven to 180C.
1) Mix your three ingredients together to form a smooth dough. The softer your butter, the easier this is to do. If your dough is still crumbly, add a splash of milk to make it more malleable. But you really shouldn’t need any!
2) Roll out the dough to approximately half a centimetre and cut out your stars.
3) Bake in the oven at 180C for 10-15mins – until the edges start turning brown. If you have made thinner cookies, they will cook quicker, so do watch them.
4) Let cool ON the tray for 4-5min THEN place them on a cookie rack. Whilst cooling they break easily!
Once fully cooled, you are ready to decorate!
1) Mix some icing sugar with a little food colouring and water. Now, try and get this to be reasonably thick. Runny icing sugar drips all over the place and will stain your cookies and fingers.
2) Take your mini marshmallows and slice the end off – that will be the hat’s pom pom. Take the rest of the marshmallow and cut it up into tiny pieces (about 6-8). You will need two lots of mini marshmallows per beard.
3) Carefully apply red icing sugar with a knife as per the picture. Leave a small area free as Santa’s face. Add your pom pom marshmallow to the hat.
I experimented a little on your behalf and made some Santas with red icing sugar only. It does work, but occasionally you end up with bit of a red beard. So the two step process of red icing and then white icing is better!
4) Let the red icing dry a little. Then make a batch of white icing (i.e. icing sugar with just water). Add a rim around the hand and for the beard. Now use your cut up marshmallow to make a furry hat trim and beard.
5) Melt a little chocolate and use a tooth pick to pop on some eyes. You can use icing gels if you like but I find them fiddlier!
Let them dry fully and your Santa star cookies are done! These would look lovely as part of a selection of Christmas cookies, alongside our Christmas cupcakes on a table or as a crafting activity for Christmas.