No need to camp outside in the cold… Today we’re throwing an indoor camping party!
We’ll show you how to bring all the fun of the great outdoors inside with this novelty party theme that can also be used for a sleepover. Just pitch your tent, lay out your sleeping bags and we’ll show you the rest!
Step #1: Make a fake bonfire
Bonfires aren’t very transferable to indoor camping parties (unless you don’t mind burning your house down) but we’ve got a really easy way to make a safe, indoor bonfire using some old toilet roll tubes.
Simply arrange some old toilet roll tubes (painted brown) and some red, yellow and orange tissue paper into the shape of a bonfire and pop a few LED candles in the middle. LED candles are battery powered and much, much safer than a real flame (you can see the ones we used here) and won’t cause a fire if they’re knocked over.
They shine pretty brightly too so you could create a bit of atmosphere by turning off the lights and eating in the light of your fake bonfire!
Step #2: Stock up on tasty camping food
An indoor camping party means you can really go to town on themed food! Think about all the things you’d eat if you were going on a real camping trip and simply recreate them!
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Hot dogs or burgers
- Finger food or anything that you can eat without a knife and fork. Sausage rolls are a good example!
- One pot meals like stew, mac n cheese, corned beef hash that you can eat out of a camping tin (and because you’re camping indoors you don’t have to heat them on a camping stove!)
- Other super simple recipes
- Marshmallows on sticks (with orange-flavour matchmakers as the sticks)
- Hot chocolate
- Dried fruit (i.e. small boxes of raisins)
- S’mores (scroll down for the recipe)
- Cereal bars
- Sausage or bacon sandwiches
Step #3: Make some s’mores (in the microwave)
Next up is a classic camping party idea from over the pond. S’mores are a classic American camping treat and they’re slowly making their way over to the UK. The name is thought to have originated from frequent requests for ‘some more’ so they must be delicious, right?
Normally you’d melt the marshmallows over your bonfire but if you’re throwing an indoor camping party, you can make them really easily in the microwave.
1. Take one digestive biscuit and put a marshmallow and a square of chocolate on top.
2. Put it on a plate and heat it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds or until it looks like the chocolate and marshmallow has melted.
3. Take it out of the microwave and sandwich it together with another digestive biscuit.
4. Repeat as many times as you like!
Step #4: Play some games!
Finally, complete your indoor camping party with some fun camping games. We’ve got loads of ideas on our site but here are a few extra camping-themed ones to get you started!
- A scavenger hunt
- Shadow puppets (find lots of ideas over on our Pinterest board)
- Group storytelling (ghost stories for older kids perhaps!)
Step #5: Download our free camping party printables!
Visit out site to browse more kids’ party theme ideas and don’t forget to share this post with your friends using the buttons below!