Throwing a Day of the Dead party this Halloween? Impress your guests with this easy-to-make Day of the Dead cake!
Simply follow our easy step-by-step tutorial and team it up with our matching Day of the Dead party decorations.
What you need:
- Large rectangular cake tin
- White buttercream icing
- Coloured writing icing
- Multi-coloured sweets and fruit
What to do
- Start your Day of the Dead cake with a plain rectangular sponge cake. Then use a knife to cut it into the shape of a skull. It’s a good idea to use the knife to score on the design before you start cutting (any mistakes will be covered by the icing).
2. Once your cake is cut to shape, cover the whole thing with white buttercream icing. A spatula will come in very handy for this.
3. The next part of making a Day of the Dead cake is definitely the most fun – decorating! You can follow our design or improvise but we’d recommend starting by drawing on some dots and swirls with coloured writing icing.
4. Your design can be as simple or elaborate as you like – just remember to leave space for sweets and fruit!
5. Once the icing is done, add the finishing touches to your Day of the Dead cake with sweets and fruit! Anything bright and colourful works – Smarties, M&Ms, cherries, blueberries, etc.
6. When your Day of the Dead cake is finished, lay it out on a serving platter to make it easy to transport to your Halloween buffet.
And voilà! Your Day of the Dead themed cake is finished! Scatter some marigolds around the serving platter and start setting up the rest of your Day of the Dead decorations.
Want more Halloween party ideas? Visit Party Delights for our full range of Halloween party supplies or stay on our blog:
- How to Throw the Ultimate Day of the Dead Party
- How to Make Your Own Day of the Dead Piñata
- How to Throw the Ultimate Kids’ Halloween Party