Looking for a fun, painted pumpkin idea? Have a go at making this easy cookie monster pumpkin!
All in all it took us about an hour to make this one (not including drying time for the paint) and there’s minimal carving involved so it’s a great one to make with kids.
If you’re planning to display your cookie monster pumpkin at your Halloween party, we’d recommend carving it as close to Halloween as possible to make sure it still looks its best. And make sure you stock up on loads of cookies – the more, the better!
What you need:
- A large pumpkin
- Blue paint
- Two large polystyrene balls
- Black marker pen
- Knife or specialist pumpkin carving tool
- Two cocktail sticks
What to do:
1. Carve a large mouth at the front of the pumpkin and scoop out the middle. Apply a white base coat.
2. Paint the outside of the pumpkin blue. Depending on how thick your paint is, this may require a few coats. Don’t worry if it’s not perfect – the brush strokes will look like his fur.
3. Draw a solid black circle on each of the large polystyrene balls to make the eyes. If you’re wondering where to buy these, try your local craft shop.
4. Stick two cocktail sticks into the pumpkin in the position where you want the eyes to be. Place an eye on each cocktail stick with the pupils looking different ways.
5. Fill his mouth with cookies and position them so that they’re spilling out.
If you plan to eat the cookies (and why wouldn’t you!) place a sheet of greaseproof paper inside the pumpkin before you put any cookies in to stop them going soggy. To make the cookies look like they’re naturally spilling out of his mouth, position them so that they go more towards one side.
Want more easy pumpkin carving ideas? Download our free printable pumpkin stencils or stay on our blog