What better excuse to get baking than Christmas! Whether you’re having family round or getting ready for your office Christmas party, Christmas cupcakes will be the perfect addition to any festive do.
And today we’re going to show you a really easy way to decorate Christmas cupcakes to make them look festive and fabulous with minimal effort (perfect when there are still a million Christmas cards to write and presents to wrap!)
Follow our simple cupcake recipe below to make a quick batch of cupcakes and then we’ll show you how to get decorating!
Basic cupcake recipe
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g margarine
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Cream together the caster sugar and margarine with an electric whisk or spoon.
- Whisk the eggs and gradually beat them into the sugar and margarine mixture.
- Stir in a teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- Sieve the flour and slowly beat it into the mixture with a spoon.
- Put a heaped spoonful of mixture into each cupcake case and bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the cakes are golden brown.
How to decorate Christmas cupcakes
Once you’ve made a batch of plain vanilla cupcakes and left them to cool, it’s time to get decorating!
Start by popping each cupcake into festive cake cases like this (anything red, green or gold will be perfect) and make a batch of red or green buttercream frosting with 140g softened butter, 280g icing sugar, 1-2 tablespoons of milk and a few drops of food colouring.
Pipe a generous portion of buttercream onto each cupcake and then decorate them with sugar decorations, including snowflakes, snowmen, Christmas puddings, snowflakes, penguins and Santa Claus. Simple!
Quick cheat: If you’re pushed for time or you’re not much of a baker, why not decorate some shop-bought cupcakes? They’ll look just as good and no-one will be able to tell the difference!
Head over to Party Delights to browse our full range of Christmas cake decorations. And for more Christmas party ideas, take a look at:
- How to Throw a Magical Winter Wonderland Party
- How to Throw a Cute Rudolph Themed Party
- How to Make a Christmas Tree Jumper